Annabel Langbein’s Roast Vegetable Salad with Spiced Honey Dressing
© Annabel Langbein 2021
This wonderful salad makes a great a stand-alone meal for lunch, as well as a vegetarian main, or partner with roast chicken, lamb or beef. You can use a combination of whatever sweet flavoured root vegetables you have to hand- parsnips and beetroot are also fab. I’ve used Comvita UMF 5+ Manuka Honey, which brings out the sweetness of these hearty winter vegetables so well. Happy cooking!
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp Comvita UMF 5+ Manuka Honey
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2kg mixed root vegetables, peeled (e.g. 600g kumara, 600g pumpkin, 400g baby carrots, 400g yams)
- 2 red onions, ends trimmed, peeled, halved, each half cut into 3 wedges
- 1 tsp salt freshly ground black pepper
- 120g salad greens, washed and dried (e.g. rocket, baby spinach, seasonal greens)
- 70g feta, crumbled
- ¼ cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup mint leaves, roughly torn
Spiced Honey Dressing
- 1 tbsp Comvita UMF 5+ Manuka Honey
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- finely grated zest of ½ orange
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic crushed to a paste with ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- freshly ground black pepper
To make the dressing, combine all ingredients in a small jar and shake until honey has dissolved.
Leave to stand while preparing the vegetables.
Dressing will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Preheat your oven to 170ºC fanbake and line two shallow roasting trays with baking paper for easy clean-up.
Cut kumara and pumpkin to 2-3 cm chunks. Halve carrots and yams lengthwise if large. Place all the vegetables except onion wedges in a large bowl.
Heat olive oil, honey and cinnamon in a small pot, stirring until honey is melted. Pour honey mixture over root vegetables, toss to combine, then divide over the oven trays, spreading out to a single layer. Arrange onion wedges in between the vegetables, keeping them intact if possible. Season both trays with salt and pepper.
Roast until vegetables are tender and caramelised, about 40-45 minutes. Leave to cool on the tray for at least 15 minutes.
To serve, arrange a bed of salad leaves on the base of a large platter. Pile over the cooled roasted vegetables. Drizzle over the dressing. Crumble over feta and scatter with toasted seeds and mint leaves.
This salad keeps well in a covered container in the fridge for a couple of days. Leave out the rocket, cheese, seeds and mint until you are ready to serve.